NAHN Scholarships and Awards
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) is pleased to announce the distribution of over $85,000 in scholarships to NAHN members this year at its Annual Gala during the 2016 NAHN Annual Conference.
Once again, we had a very competitive year. Many thanks to our generous funders who are actively helping increase the professionalism of Latino nurses.
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) was honored to receive $120,000 for scholarship money and related services from the United Health Foundation Diverse Scholars Initiative's Latino Health Scholars Program.
The eight new recipients are:
- Arianna Vargas, San Diego Chapter
- Grace Ramirez, San Diego Chapter
- Girah Caraballo, NAHN National
- Brenda Miguel (Cruz), San Diego Chapter
- Cynthia Colmenares, Garden State Chapter
- Daniela Vargas, San Diego and San Francisco Chapters
- Laura Penalo, New York Chapter
- Horacio Lemus, San Diego Chapter
Returning scholars are:
- Gerardo Flores, Los Angeles Chapter
- Adrial Lobelo, New York Chapter
- Santiago Mercado, Dallas Chapter
- Maria Vera-Irizarry, Long Island Chapter
- Suzanne Carvajal-Pinos, Broward County Chapter
- Lluriana Bailon
- Koral Liriano
- Leah Ruiz
In addition to the United Health Foundation Scholarships, NAHN awarded a total $4,500 from the Past Presidents Scholarship Fund to the following members:
Jennifer Sanchez, Northeast Pennsylvania Chapter – In honor of Hector Hugo Gonzalez, PhD, VR-RN (retired)
Sara Jiminez, San Diego Chapter – In honor of Carmen Portillo, PhD, RN, FAAN
Caesar Rangel, Phoenix Chapter – In honor of Nilda (Nena) Peragallo, DrPH, RN, FAAN
Zayra Quintero, San Diego Chapter – In honor of Antonia M. Villarruel, PhD, FAAN
NAHN also awarded a NAHN Scholarship to Paulette Lizarraga, Phoenix Chapter
Children’s Mercy Scholarship
Arianna Vargas received the Children’s Mercy Scholarship
Previous NAHN Scholarship Recipients
About the NAHN Scholarship Program
Scholarship awards are presented to NAHN members enrolled in accredited LVN/LPN, associate, diploma, baccalaureate, and graduate nursing programs.
Selection of recipients is based on need, current academic standing, whether they are a United States citizen or legal resident of the United States and other criteria.
Scholarship recipients are a select group of Hispanic nursing students who demonstrate promise of professional contributions to the nursing profession and who have the potential to act as role models for other aspiring nursing students.
The number of scholarships offered each year is dependent upon the amount of money in the scholarship fund.
Scholarships are presented each year at NAHN’
About the NAHN Awards
The National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) established a series of awards to honor and provide special recognition to Hispanic nurses.
These special awards honor NAHN members for their demonstrated excellence in nursing education, community service and for their spirit and dedication in serving the Hispanic community. Special awards are an opportunity for NAHN members to be recognized and celebrated for their extraordinary achievements within the nursing discipline.
Use this portal for nominations for all awards Click Here
- The Dr. Ildaura Murillo-Rohde Award for Academic Excellence
- The Henrietta Villaescusa Award for Community Service
- The Dr. Janie Menchaca Wilson Award for Outstanding Leadership
- The Sara Gomez Erlach Humanitarian Award
- NAHN Nurse of the Year
- Latino Legacy Award
Please note the following requirements for ALL NAHN Special Awards:
- You may submit multiple nominations using the web portal or mail submission.
- Submitted nomination information becomes the property of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN).
- Hispanic Nurses nominated for a Special Award must be a member of NAHN for at least three (3) consecutive years.
- Nominations may be self-nominated or made by colleagues, clients, administrators, or co-workers
- Letters of reference must be 300 words or less and illustrate the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments. You may use question 5 below to submit your letter of reference or e-mail a scan or photograph of your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nominee is to submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Qualified nominees may be the recipient of a particular Award only once. Any individual who has received previous recognition by NAHN for that Award is not eligible for the same award but may be nominated for other NAHN awards.
- Nomination forms and all submitted materials must be completed on this portal or postmarked by April 15, 2017.
- If responding by mail, mail to: NAHN Awards; 1500 Sunday Drive Suite 102; Raleigh NC 27607
Please use the following survey link to submit all special award nominations: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WZMVJ3Z
Any additional letters of recommendation can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail at the address above.